Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Scary Turkey

I decided to go ahead and pull out my fall decorations last night and found myself frightened/startled when I came across the object in the picture below…







Doesn't seem so bad yet, but wait for the close up...







My mom was trying to be sweet and help me accumulate some Thanksgiving decorations last year because it was my first time to host Thanksgiving at my house. I greatly appreciated the gesture, but this scary/creepy/not at all warm and fuzzy feeling antique turkey thing that she gave me scared the dog out of me when I opened the “seasonal décor” closet and he was just sitting there staring at me.






Antique turkey’s red eyes don’t exactly scream “I give thanks”.
In fact, it seems more like Turkey is saying, "I hate you, am about to peck your face off and hope you are startled/frightened again next year when you find me sitting in your seasonal decor closet.”
What antique turkey doesn’t know is that there probably won’t be a next year for him…




All of this got me to thinking about what exactly I had used to decorate for the holidays last year, and quite frankly, if my guests found themselves frightened as well. I apparently have a good imagination because I don’t remember things as they were now that I have looked at pictures from last year.

For example, I recall our pumpkins that we carved for Halloween being super cool, adding a lovely "glow" to the front of our house and looking great with the landscape… Funny, because in the picture below, our landscape looks brand new and goofy, (because it pretty much was), and our pumpkins do far less than make the front of our house "glow"...


















Coby's pumpkin on the right has ears :) And yes, I am wearing a pumpkin costume. That's another thing I'll have to work on this year.

Next we have Thanksgiving table decorating…another downer here. I thought my table looked fabulous…just great. SO much so that I had my mom take a picture of Coby and I in front of it…and as I reminisce on another holiday decorating experience, I once again find myself disappointed.



Sort of looks like a Thanksgiving turkey exploded on the table. Maybe a more simple look this year? I should probably try to leave room for the food...you think my guests thought the gourd was an appeteezer? :)

And where was I going with the giant pine cone ball plopped down in the center of the pedestal bowl? What the heck is that? I highly doubt that someone sat down and though to themselves, "oh, what a lovely giant ball-o-pinecone that is just sitting there". Ugh.



Apparently I lived our first married holiday season on a high, which was super fun, but not a helpful high when it comes to my decorating skills. Thanks to my camera, I now have something to show Coby when he asks why I have just dominated the seasonal decor section of every interior design store in Dallas.



AUSTIN and The Suttons

Last Thursday night we threw the dog in the car and headed to Austin for a couple of days. Coby had to measure some houses for work, and play some golf with a friend that he grew up with. We stayed with the Sutton Family and had a blast. I have to thank the Suttons for opening their home to Coby, Birdie and myself for a couple of days. They are wonderful hosts and beyond fun to be around. I often wish that we lived in the same city and could spend more time together!
Thank you Lizzie, Caleb, Gabe and Walter Sutton for the wonderful weekend! We love you guys!


I hope this week is going well for everyone!

Love,
Molly

P.S...feel free to send pics of your decorating disasters...it will only make me feel better.








1 comment:

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I think the table looks beautiful but the turkey does scare the crap out of me!! :)