Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving post 2 - SISTERS!!!

It would be horrific of me to do a post for everything I am grateful for and skip my sisters, (aka Thithers).

I have often wondered what life for people that are an only child is like, and then my thought immediately following that is always, "Oh, and what the heck is life like for people without sisters?!?".  (Said in exasperated and overly-dramatic, of course.)

I am the third of three girls.  Anna is the oldest and she is 1 and 1/2 years older than Rachel, who is a little over 2 years older than me.  Apparently, our mom and dad were quite busy.  Needless to say, we spent our days as little ones playing dolls, playing barbies, and letting Anna do our hair and makeup.  Rachel and I shared a room until I was 12, shared our clothes, shared our addiction to Babysitters Club books, and shared our secret passion for making up our very own live performances to Amy Grant and the Salty the Songbook tapes....think 80's Praise and Worship music for kids...we directed many a church performance with imaginary students to good old Salty!  Anna did our makeup and made sure that my mom gave each of us some real pretty bangs in the late 80's and continued to lead the Slaton girls into the fashion trends of the 90's.  (Thank you, Anna, for you divine taste and for dressing me like I was going to work when I was actually going to my 8th grade dance.)  What I smile about when thinking of that though is that how beautiful I felt.  Anna did my hair, makeup dressed me and made me spin.  She did the same for Rachel's 8th Grade dance.  We trusted her simply because Anna was our big sister.

We fought like cats and dogs.  Actually, being three girls, we mainly fought like cats...scratching included.  We managed to absolutely destroy each others' self esteem as adolescents, (think "Teacher Hips", "Bubble Butt", "Sunken Chest" and my personal favorite, "Oaf"), and while that is terrible, we have had many sweet opportunities as adults to build each other up.  Anna, Rachel and I are, of course, completely different and 100% alike.  They are my best friends and very few days go by when I don't talk to one of them at least once.

  Having two big sisters makes needing lots of good girlfriends less necessary because my best girlfriends came "built in" to my life.  They don't completely erase the need for my close group of friends that I like to call my "back up sisters", (Anna and Rachel don't live here), but my sisters are the world to me and know everything about me, (and I mean everything, which often reminds me to tread lightly around them unless I want Coby to hear another fabulous story about how super cool I was).  They know everything about me, and love me just the same.  Again, I am SO blessed.

 

Below are some of my favorite pictures of the three of us over the years...

Molly's Family002

Myself, Anna and Rachel in        

Molly's Family009

Super cool cheerleaders

Molly's Family016

Getting ready for Santy to come!

Molly's Family013

Group pic at North Park

Molly's Family017

Anna and I

Molly's Family033

Anna and I again...just a wee bit older

Molly's Family034

Rachel and I

 DSC01194

Rachel, Anna and I after Cubs Game

 0151 Molly's Family036Molly's Family032

The three of us at each of our weddings.  The last picture Rachel and I did our own hair...which still makes me laugh to this day.  Apparently Anna didn't train us well enough on that one!  :)

No comments: